- Minimum Experience: 10 years
- Education: HS
- Registration: (Not Specified)
- Required Skills: AutoCAD; Microsoft Office
- Sponsorship: Immigration related employment benefits, e.g. visa sponsorship, are not available for this position.
Burgess & Niple is currently seeking a Civil Designer to join our multi-discipline engineering consulting firm in Norfolk or Richmond office. This position is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to join our local team and utilize their design and technical expertise on interesting and challenging projects.
B&N Civil Designer Responsibilities:
- Support design efforts of challenging site and water/wastewater projects. Typical projects will include public and private site development, water transmission mains, sanitary sewers, wastewater force mains, and wastewater pump stations.
- Site or subdivision design using industry standard software such as Civil 3D.
- Property research, including but not limited to zoning requirements, allowable uses, available utilities, design challenges and constraints.
- Complete calculations using engineering formulas or software.
- Revise or refine design details and plan sets for submittal to plan approving authorities.
- Prepare or edit specifications through research of industry, federal, state, regional or municipal publications.
- Prepare reports and narratives for use in the completion design and construction documents.
- Preparation of engineering and construction cost estimates using local and industry standard pricing guides.
- Perform site visits for project orientation and construction surveillance.
- Communicate with design team, client staff, plan approving and permitting authorities as needed.
- Preparation of permit applications and supporting documents.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED). Associate Degree or college training may be substituted for some, but not all, required experience
- 10+ years design experience in site/utility/civil engineering in Virginia is required, plus prior CADD experience required
- Proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microsoft Office software program
- Ability to communicate effectively with people, both orally and in writing
- Desire and ability to work in a group setting and to mentor junior staff members supporting projects
- Strong communication skills, quality control, and organization skills are essential to the success of this role
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Immediate accrued paid time off
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) with match and no vesting schedule
- Flexible spending or health savings account options
- Basic life insurance/short-term & long-term disability coverage at no cost to the employee with option to purchase supplemental life insurance
- Bonus program
- Flexible hours and hybrid work schedule options
- Tuition assistance
- Professional development opportunities
- Casual dress
At B&N, we are dedicated to improving ourselves and the communities we serve. We do this by providing employees with opportunities for fulfillment, learning and advancement while delivering awesome experiences to our clients. We are committed to exploring new capabilities, emerging technologies and opportunities that will help create a pipeline for future growth.
We are engineers, architects, planners, scientists, geologists, and designers. We are also innovators and leaders, entrepreneurs, and collaborators. We are traffic engineers and parents of teenage drivers. We are site designers and homeowners. Ecologists and dog walkers. Funding experts and foodbank volunteers. We believe that these collective connections to the communities we serve are an asset to B&N and our clients.
Apply today and discover the possibilities for your career at B&N.