At Burgess & Niple, our employees are driven by a passion for advancing the built environment with exceptional concern for quality of life, safety and sustainability. We deliver creative solutions that exceed our clients’ goals and foster an environment that creates unlimited opportunities for employees.
Guided by our core values, we are a privately held firm with offices in ten states and projects around the world. Through our Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI) and tech-savvy employees, we have seamlessly transitioned to virtual recruiting and onboarding processes that allow us to collaborate regardless of location. Apply today and discover the limitless possibilities for your career at B&N.
Want to work for an A/E firm that values employee input and collaboration? Burgess & Niple is seeking a Mechanical Engineer for the architectural practice in the Hampton Roads area. Candidate must have solid technical background in HVAC and Plumbing system design. This position is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual to join our Norfolk, Virginia team and utilize their technical expertise to lead and complete interesting and challenging projects.
What you can expect as the major duties and responsibilities:
- Independently develop and evaluate plans for major projects by performing various aspects of mechanical engineering design including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analysis, calculations, equipment selection and layout and system selection and layout for building design, upgrades and retrofits.
- Develop flow and controls diagrams, P&IDs, and sequences of operation
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- May coordinate departmental or divisional project studies, reports or project design assignments.
- Progressive design responsibilities, including project management.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Regularly meets and corresponds with clients or outside personnel.
- Providing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings.
You may be a good fit if you have these skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering program
- Virginia PE registration or ability to be registered through reciprocity
- 8+ years of experience in engineering is required; prefer 10+ years of experience and desire or ability to manage projects
- Knowledge and experience with ASHRAE standards, IPC, IMC, and IECC codes.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience using Trace 700 to perform energy and HVAC load calculations.
- Competent in use of Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD MEP, and Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with DEB and CPSM required
- Plumbing design experience a plus.
- Self-motivated and adaptable, tech savvy that includes the capability to learn virtual collaboration tools
- Ability to work remotely based on business operations and the needs of the firm
Burgess & Niple offers an excellent benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision coverage, immediate accrued paid time off, 401(k) with match and no vesting schedule, life insurance at no cost to the employee, flexible hours, tuition assistance, casual dress, opportunities for professional development and much more.