- Minimum Experience: 10 years
- Education: BSME
- Registration: Professional Engineer (PE)
- Required Skills: CPSM; DEB; Microsoft Office
- Sponsorship: Immigration related employment benefits, e.g. visa sponsorship, are not available for this position.
Burgess & Niple is seeking a Mechanical Engineer in our Norfolk, VA or Richmond, VA office to be a part of our national team. As a full-service Engineering and Architectural firm, this individual will have the unique opportunity to work with and support our company market areas – architecture, utility infrastructure, industrial, environmental, and land development, across the country. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who has a desire and capacity to learn and is interested in working on diverse project types.
Candidate must have solid technical background in HVAC and Plumbing system design. This position is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual to utilize their technical and leadership expertise to lead and complete interesting and challenging projects.
Requirements include a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering with a P.E. registration or eligible for reciprocity in VA. A minimum of 10 years’ experience in engineering and ability to mentor staff is required. Strong communication skills, quality control, and organization skills are essential to the success of this role. Growth opportunities available.
B&N Mechanical Engineer Responsibilities:
- Work with the MEP Engineering Section Director to plan, manage, execute and deliver engineering projects on-time, on budget, and to the performance expectations of the client.
- Assists with the creation and development of scopes of work and budgets for various projects.
- Monitor all financial aspects of the project, to include invoicing, budget status, accounts receivable, and monthly reports.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Provide formal training sessions on myriad engineering concepts and applications to B&N staff and select clientele.
- Review develop and evaluate plans for major projects by performing various aspects of mechanical engineering design including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analysis, calculations, equipment selection and layout and system selection and layout for building design, upgrades and retrofits.
- Provide technical reviews of mechanical and plumbing designs and specifications at various stages of completion.
- Provide designs and specifications for direct digital control, electrical control, and electronic control systems.
- Coordinate with B&N marketing staff to develop written proposal responses and participate in shortlist presentations and client interviews.
- Coordinate departmental or divisional project studies, reports, or project design assignments.
- Providing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings.
- Strict adherence to quality control guidelines.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in mechanical engineering from an ABET accredited program
- 10+ years of experience
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience using Trace 700 to perform HVAC load calculations and highly accurate energy models. CEM or similar certification preferred.
- Experience with design of DDC controls for major building systems required.
- Experience in the design and optimization of chiller/boiler plants, VAV systems, VRF systems, Geothermal/WSHP systems, and Heat Recovery Systems.
- Experience with DEB and CPSM required.
- Knowledge and experience with ASHRAE standards, IPC, IMC, and IECC codes required.
- Plumbing experience required.
- Commissioning experience a plus.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Immediate accrued paid time off
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) with match and no vesting schedule
- Flexible spending or health savings account options
- Basic life insurance/short-term & long-term disability coverage at no cost to the employee with option to purchase supplemental life insurance
- Bonus program
- Flexible hours and hybrid work schedule options
- Tuition assistance
- Professional development opportunities
- Casual dress
At B&N, we are dedicated to improving ourselves and the communities we serve. We do this by providing employees with opportunities for fulfillment, learning and advancement while delivering awesome experiences to our clients. We are committed to exploring new capabilities, emerging technologies and opportunities that will help create future growth.
We are engineers, architects, planners, scientists, geologists and designers. We are also innovators and leaders, entrepreneurs and collaborators. We are traffic engineers and parents of teenage drivers. We are site designers and homeowners. Ecologists and dog walkers. Funding experts and foodbank volunteers. We believe that these collective connections to the communities we serve are an asset to B&N and our clients.
Apply today and discover the possibilities for your career at B&N.