Burgess & Niple (B&N) was retained by the Ohio Department of Transportation to design a replacement bridge for the City of Hamilton, Ohio. Built in 1914, the existing bridge spanning the Great Miami River was deteriorating and could no longer support the City’s growing population.
A significant community structure connecting the City’s business and historic districts, the previous bridge was eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. B&N’s design maintains historical and aesthetic features important to the community, including the use of a concrete arch shape and metal decorative railings that maintain views of the river. Decorative medallions that depict Hamilton’s history also were incorporated into the design.
The new 500-foot structure is a five span, spliced precast and post-tensioned concrete girder bridge designed to accommodate traffic volumes projected to reach 54,000 vehicles per day by 2025. In addition to improving traffic flow, the bridge was built in compliance with stringent hydraulic, utility and traffic restrictions, and aesthetic requirements mandated by a Memorandum of Agreement. Construction was completed at a cost of $16.4 million.
The High-Main Bridge received the Outstanding New Short Span Bridge Award from the Northeastern Ohio Chapter of the Association for Bridge Construction and Design in 2007; an Outstanding Achievement Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies of Ohio in 2008; the Donald C. Schramm Transportation Improvement Award from the Triko Valley Chapter of the American Society of Highway Engineers in 2008; and the Eugene C. Figg Jr. Medal for Signature Bridges from the International Bridge Conference in 2008.