The Big Four Railroad Bridge is an abandoned structure over the Ohio River between Louisville, Kentucky and Jeffersonville, Indiana. The current configuration was erected in 1929 and last served rail traffic in the 1970s. Its common name is derived from the four railroads which collaborated to build the crossing.
Louisville Waterfront Development Corporation acquired the bridge and plans to incorporate it into Waterfront Park as a pedestrian and cyclist crossing. Prior to returning the bridge to service, its condition and capacity had to be determined. Burgess & Niple (B&N) was engaged to perform an in-depth structural inspection and record deficiencies for a load rating to be performed by the design team.
The preliminary report was submitted in the weeks following the field work. B&N’s assistance in interpreting the application of the field notes and acting in a quality assurance role continued after the report was submitted. B&N also assisted with interpreting the application of the field notes and maintained a quality assurance role throughout design of the rehabilitation plans.