Make an impact.
Your career. Our communities.
Civil Engineer Co-op
Position ID: 2625
- Minimum Experience: Entry Level
- Education: HS
- Registration: (Not Specified)
- Required Skills: Microsoft Office
- Sponsorship: Immigration related employment benefits, e.g. visa sponsorship, are not available for this position.
Interested in working with some of the top water experts in the industry? Burgess & Niple is seeking Civil Engineering Co-ops for Summer Semester 2019 in our Akron, OH office to gain experience in sewer inspection in the field and in the office.
What you can expect as the major duties and responsibilities:
As an important part of the project team and under the supervision of a Professional Engineer, the co-op will perform manhole inspections throughout the City of Akron’s sewer system. This will provide increased knowledge of municipal infrastructure in a real life application of civil engineering. Locating manholes using GPS, taking pictures using a tablet, and inspecting for infiltration, cracks and deformity are the main goals for this work. You will be able to gain both field and office experience.
You may be a good fit if you have these skills and qualifications:
- Current Civil Engineering student at an ABET accredited college or university
- Ability to team-lift manhole covers up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, squat and reach
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and mobile devices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- Akron residency is highly preferred.
Housing is the responsibility of the co-op. Typical work hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national
origin, disability status, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Click here to view our
Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Policy Statement.