At Burgess & Niple, our employees are driven by a passion for advancing the built environment with exceptional concern for quality of life, safety and sustainability. We deliver creative solutions that exceed our clients’ goals and foster an environment that creates unlimited opportunities for employees.
Guided by our core values, we are a privately held firm with offices in eight states and projects around the world. Apply today and discover the limitless possibilities for your career at B&N.
Interested in working with some of the top water experts in the industry? Burgess & Niple is seeking Civil Engineering Co-ops for Summer Semester 2018 in our Akron, OH office to gain experience in sewer inspection in the field and in the office.
What you can expect as the major duties and responsibilities:
As an important part of the project team and under the supervision of a Professional Engineer, the co-op will perform manhole inspections throughout the City of Akron’s sewer system. This will provide increased knowledge of municipal infrastructure in a real life application of civil engineering. Locating manholes using GPS, taking pictures using a tablet, and inspecting for infiltration, cracks and deformity are the main goals for this work. You will be able to gain both field and office experience.
You may be a good fit if you have these skills and qualifications:
- Current Civil Engineering student at an ABET accredited college or university
- Ability to team-lift manhole covers up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, squat and reach
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and mobile devices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work outdoors
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- Akron residency is highly preferred.
Housing is the responsibility of the co-op. Typical work hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.